What is involved in Business Capability Modeling
Find out what the related areas are that Business Capability Modeling connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Business Capability Modeling thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Business Capability Modeling journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Business Capability Modeling leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Business Capability Modeling related domains to cover and 141 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Business Capability Modeling, Capability management in business, Blue Ocean Strategy, Business architecture, Business process reengineering, Business strategy, Capability approach, Capability management, Capability management in defence, Coherence Premium, Core competency, Dynamic capabilities, Enterprise Architecture, Enterprise architecture framework, Growth platforms, Harvard Business Review, Heat map, Intellectual Property Rights, NATO Architecture Framework, Network Centric Warfare, Network Enabled Capability, Network theory, Operating model, Organizational learning, Resource-based view of the firm, Ricardian economics, Strategy map, System-of-Systems Engineering, Systems Engineering, Tacit Knowledge, Technology Management, Technology Strategy, The Open Group, The Open Group Architecture Framework, Theory of the firm, UK Ministry of Defence, Value chain, Virtual Enterprise:
Business Capability Modeling Critical Criteria:
Canvass Business Capability Modeling strategies and raise human resource and employment practices for Business Capability Modeling.
– What are the disruptive Business Capability Modeling technologies that enable our organization to radically change our business processes?
– How do we go about Comparing Business Capability Modeling approaches/solutions?
– Is Business Capability Modeling Required?
Capability management in business Critical Criteria:
Ventilate your thoughts about Capability management in business tasks and gather practices for scaling Capability management in business.
– What are the key elements of your Business Capability Modeling performance improvement system, including your evaluation, organizational learning, and innovation processes?
– How important is Business Capability Modeling to the user organizations mission?
– What are our Business Capability Modeling Processes?
Blue Ocean Strategy Critical Criteria:
Scrutinze Blue Ocean Strategy visions and adjust implementation of Blue Ocean Strategy.
– How do we ensure that implementations of Business Capability Modeling products are done in a way that ensures safety?
– How do we Identify specific Business Capability Modeling investment and emerging trends?
– How do we go about Securing Business Capability Modeling?
Business architecture Critical Criteria:
Analyze Business architecture issues and maintain Business architecture for success.
– In a project to restructure Business Capability Modeling outcomes, which stakeholders would you involve?
– Is Supporting Business Capability Modeling documentation required?
– Are there recognized Business Capability Modeling problems?
Business process reengineering Critical Criteria:
Air ideas re Business process reengineering results and find answers.
– Do we cover the five essential competencies-Communication, Collaboration,Innovation, Adaptability, and Leadership that improve an organizations ability to leverage the new Business Capability Modeling in a volatile global economy?
– When conducting a business process reengineering study, what should we look for when trying to identify business processes to change?
– What are the Key enablers to make this Business Capability Modeling move?
Business strategy Critical Criteria:
Unify Business strategy engagements and assess and formulate effective operational and Business strategy strategies.
– Record-keeping requirements flow from the records needed as inputs, outputs, controls and for transformation of a Business Capability Modeling process. ask yourself: are the records needed as inputs to the Business Capability Modeling process available?
– As a CSP undertakes to build out or take a fresh look at its service offerings, the CSP should clearly define its business strategy and related risk management philosophy. What market segments or industries does the CSP intend to serve?
– How do we provide the context for investment considerations (which services does an investment affect, and how does that fit with the business strategy and priorities?
– Which services does the ITSM investment affect, and how does that fit with the business strategy and priorities?
– What is the link between a firms business strategy and its capital budgeting process?
– What is your it asset management program. is it manual or automated (which vendor)?
– How to get alignment between business strategy and IT infrastructure?
– What should be done in-house and what should be outsourced?
– What are current Business Capability Modeling Paradigms?
– Are outcomes in line with business strategy?
– What is the overall business strategy?
Capability approach Critical Criteria:
Mix Capability approach failures and finalize specific methods for Capability approach acceptance.
– Which individuals, teams or departments will be involved in Business Capability Modeling?
– How to deal with Business Capability Modeling Changes?
Capability management Critical Criteria:
X-ray Capability management failures and assess what counts with Capability management that we are not counting.
– Can Management personnel recognize the monetary benefit of Business Capability Modeling?
– How much does Business Capability Modeling help?
Capability management in defence Critical Criteria:
Use past Capability management in defence leadership and probe using an integrated framework to make sure Capability management in defence is getting what it needs.
– Will new equipment/products be required to facilitate Business Capability Modeling delivery for example is new software needed?
– Think of your Business Capability Modeling project. what are the main functions?
– Who will provide the final approval of Business Capability Modeling deliverables?
Coherence Premium Critical Criteria:
Do a round table on Coherence Premium results and ask what if.
– Do Business Capability Modeling rules make a reasonable demand on a users capabilities?
Core competency Critical Criteria:
Analyze Core competency risks and secure Core competency creativity.
– Do you monitor the effectiveness of your Business Capability Modeling activities?
Dynamic capabilities Critical Criteria:
Inquire about Dynamic capabilities adoptions and ask what if.
– When a Business Capability Modeling manager recognizes a problem, what options are available?
– Who will be responsible for documenting the Business Capability Modeling requirements in detail?
– What is our formula for success in Business Capability Modeling ?
Enterprise Architecture Critical Criteria:
Accelerate Enterprise Architecture tasks and prioritize challenges of Enterprise Architecture.
– what is the best design framework for Business Capability Modeling organization now that, in a post industrial-age if the top-down, command and control model is no longer relevant?
– With the increasing adoption of cloud computing do you think enterprise architecture as a discipline will become more or less important to us and why?
– Who will be responsible for deciding whether Business Capability Modeling goes ahead or not after the initial investigations?
– How do mission and objectives affect the Business Capability Modeling processes of our organization?
– Enterprise architecture planning. how does it align with to the to be architecture?
– How does the standard fit into the Federal Enterprise Architecture (FEA)?
– Are Enterprise JavaBeans still relevant for enterprise architectures?
– Are software assets aligned with the agency enterprise architecture?
– Are software assets aligned with the organizations enterprise architecture?
– Are the levels and focus right for TOGAF enterprise architecture?
– Is There a Role for Patterns in Enterprise Architecture?
– What is the value of mature Enterprise Architecture?
– Why Should we Consider Enterprise Architecture?
– What is an Enterprise Architecture?
– What Is Enterprise Architecture?
– Why Enterprise Architecture?
Enterprise architecture framework Critical Criteria:
Co-operate on Enterprise architecture framework planning and oversee Enterprise architecture framework management by competencies.
– Will Business Capability Modeling have an impact on current business continuity, disaster recovery processes and/or infrastructure?
– How do senior leaders actions reflect a commitment to the organizations Business Capability Modeling values?
Growth platforms Critical Criteria:
Look at Growth platforms decisions and finalize the present value of growth of Growth platforms.
– Do we aggressively reward and promote the people who have the biggest impact on creating excellent Business Capability Modeling services/products?
– What is the source of the strategies for Business Capability Modeling strengthening and reform?
– Who needs to know about Business Capability Modeling ?
Harvard Business Review Critical Criteria:
Recall Harvard Business Review outcomes and reduce Harvard Business Review costs.
– How do your measurements capture actionable Business Capability Modeling information for use in exceeding your customers expectations and securing your customers engagement?
– What are the usability implications of Business Capability Modeling actions?
– What threat is Business Capability Modeling addressing?
Heat map Critical Criteria:
Discourse Heat map outcomes and look for lots of ideas.
– To what extent does management recognize Business Capability Modeling as a tool to increase the results?
– Are assumptions made in Business Capability Modeling stated explicitly?
Intellectual Property Rights Critical Criteria:
Deliberate over Intellectual Property Rights adoptions and inform on and uncover unspoken needs and breakthrough Intellectual Property Rights results.
– What will be the policies for data sharing and public access (including provisions for protection of privacy, confidentiality, security, intellectual property rights and other rights as appropriate)?
– What management system can we use to leverage the Business Capability Modeling experience, ideas, and concerns of the people closest to the work to be done?
– Who will own any copyright or intellectual property rights to the data?
– Why are Business Capability Modeling skills important?
NATO Architecture Framework Critical Criteria:
Interpolate NATO Architecture Framework planning and explain and analyze the challenges of NATO Architecture Framework.
– Does Business Capability Modeling create potential expectations in other areas that need to be recognized and considered?
– What sources do you use to gather information for a Business Capability Modeling study?
– Are we Assessing Business Capability Modeling and Risk?
Network Centric Warfare Critical Criteria:
Ventilate your thoughts about Network Centric Warfare visions and explain and analyze the challenges of Network Centric Warfare.
– What is the total cost related to deploying Business Capability Modeling, including any consulting or professional services?
– Why should we adopt a Business Capability Modeling framework?
Network Enabled Capability Critical Criteria:
Derive from Network Enabled Capability quality and adjust implementation of Network Enabled Capability.
– Meeting the challenge: are missed Business Capability Modeling opportunities costing us money?
Network theory Critical Criteria:
Consolidate Network theory results and acquire concise Network theory education.
– What are your most important goals for the strategic Business Capability Modeling objectives?
Operating model Critical Criteria:
Chat re Operating model engagements and look for lots of ideas.
– Do you have a defined operating model with dedicated resources for IT risk?
– Does our organization need more Business Capability Modeling education?
– Does Business Capability Modeling appropriately measure and monitor risk?
– Is change a campaign or operating model?
Organizational learning Critical Criteria:
Inquire about Organizational learning quality and explore and align the progress in Organizational learning.
– How do we move from reacting to problems to fact-based, systematic evaluation and improvement and organizational learning through innovation?
– What are the barriers to increased Business Capability Modeling production?
– What are the short and long-term Business Capability Modeling goals?
– How can you measure Business Capability Modeling in a systematic way?
Resource-based view of the firm Critical Criteria:
Review Resource-based view of the firm tasks and create Resource-based view of the firm explanations for all managers.
– Do we have past Business Capability Modeling Successes?
Ricardian economics Critical Criteria:
Transcribe Ricardian economics management and stake your claim.
– What are internal and external Business Capability Modeling relations?
Strategy map Critical Criteria:
Match Strategy map risks and observe effective Strategy map.
– A compounding model resolution with available relevant data can often provide insight towards a solution methodology; which Business Capability Modeling models, tools and techniques are necessary?
– What knowledge, skills and characteristics mark a good Business Capability Modeling project manager?
System-of-Systems Engineering Critical Criteria:
Review System-of-Systems Engineering decisions and look at it backwards.
– Have the types of risks that may impact Business Capability Modeling been identified and analyzed?
– How does the organization define, manage, and improve its Business Capability Modeling processes?
Systems Engineering Critical Criteria:
Cut a stake in Systems Engineering risks and probe using an integrated framework to make sure Systems Engineering is getting what it needs.
– The approach of traditional Business Capability Modeling works for detail complexity but is focused on a systematic approach rather than an understanding of the nature of systems themselves. what approach will permit us to deal with the kind of unpredictable emergent behaviors that dynamic complexity can introduce?
– What constraints apply, either in the nature and scope of our design effort (time, cost, funding, and other resources) or in the nature (size, cost, weight, etc.) of our solution?
– The complexity of our design task is significantly affected by the nature of the objectives for the systems to be designed. is the task intricate, or difficult?
– How do we achieve sufficient predictability in developing the system so as to enable meaningful costed and time-bounded, resourced plans to be formed?
– How will we know when our design effort has produced a solution which will satisfy the objectives within the constraints?
– Do several people in different organizational units assist with the Business Capability Modeling process?
– How are you going to know that the system is performing correctly once it is operational?
– What is the detailed set of functions and properties of a given interface?
– What will happen if there is a loss of key staff or contractor personnel?
– Do the requirements satisfy the intent and all key items of the need?
– What kind of support for requirements management will be needed?
– Why has systems engineering emerged as a distinct discipline?
– What is the geographic and physical extent of the system?
– Who will use the systems engineering plan (sep)?
– What parts are connected to each other?
– How do we compare with the competition?
– How much architecting is enough?
– Is the schedule too aggressive?
– Right implementation?
– What is a system?
Tacit Knowledge Critical Criteria:
Analyze Tacit Knowledge issues and look at it backwards.
– Think about the people you identified for your Business Capability Modeling project and the project responsibilities you would assign to them. what kind of training do you think they would need to perform these responsibilities effectively?
– How does one best achieve tacit knowledge codification?
Technology Management Critical Criteria:
Devise Technology Management results and display thorough understanding of the Technology Management process.
– How do we keep improving Business Capability Modeling?
Technology Strategy Critical Criteria:
Focus on Technology Strategy adoptions and diversify disclosure of information – dealing with confidential Technology Strategy information.
– Does Business Capability Modeling systematically track and analyze outcomes for accountability and quality improvement?
– What role does communication play in the success or failure of a Business Capability Modeling project?
The Open Group Critical Criteria:
Boost The Open Group goals and slay a dragon.
– Where do ideas that reach policy makers and planners as proposals for Business Capability Modeling strengthening and reform actually originate?
– Is maximizing Business Capability Modeling protection the same as minimizing Business Capability Modeling loss?
– Is the Business Capability Modeling organization completing tasks effectively and efficiently?
The Open Group Architecture Framework Critical Criteria:
Own The Open Group Architecture Framework adoptions and point out The Open Group Architecture Framework tensions in leadership.
– Is there any existing Business Capability Modeling governance structure?
Theory of the firm Critical Criteria:
Systematize Theory of the firm tasks and define Theory of the firm competency-based leadership.
– Is a Business Capability Modeling Team Work effort in place?
UK Ministry of Defence Critical Criteria:
Win new insights about UK Ministry of Defence failures and acquire concise UK Ministry of Defence education.
– How is the value delivered by Business Capability Modeling being measured?
Value chain Critical Criteria:
Investigate Value chain engagements and budget for Value chain challenges.
– Are there any easy-to-implement alternatives to Business Capability Modeling? Sometimes other solutions are available that do not require the cost implications of a full-blown project?
– What are the success criteria that will indicate that Business Capability Modeling objectives have been met and the benefits delivered?
– Who is responsible for ensuring appropriate resources (time, people and money) are allocated to Business Capability Modeling?
Virtual Enterprise Critical Criteria:
Do a round table on Virtual Enterprise decisions and balance specific methods for improving Virtual Enterprise results.
– How do we know that any Business Capability Modeling analysis is complete and comprehensive?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Business Capability Modeling Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Business Capability Modeling External links:
Business Capability Modeling – Gartner IT Glossary
Business Capability Modeling Overview: Capability …
Business Capability Modeling – Gartner IT Glossary
Capability management in business External links:
Capability management in business – Revolvy
https://broom02.revolvy.com/topic/Capability management in business
Blue Ocean Strategy External links:
Blue Ocean Strategy – YouTube
Blue Ocean Strategy – Official Site
What Is Blue Ocean Strategy? – Business News Daily
Business architecture External links:
Business Architecture Center of Excellence
Capstera Business Architecture Software
Business process reengineering External links:
Overcoming Business Process Reengineering Obstacles …
Business strategy External links:
Planning Your E-commerce Business Strategy
U.S. Army STAND-TO! | The Army Business Strategy, 2017 …
A Definition of Business Strategy – Business intelligence
Capability approach External links:
The Capability Approach (Stanford Encyclopedia of …
[PDF]The Capability Approach: a theoretical survey
A CAPABILITY APPROACH TO LEARNING – YouTube
Capability management External links:
Capability Management – Center For Talent Reporting
What is business capability management? – Quora
Coherence Premium External links:
The Coherence Premium – Strategy&
coherence premium Archives – Sheila Margolis
The Coherence Premium – Harvard Business Review
Core competency External links:
ALF Core Competency Test
Core Competency Identification | Chron.com
Dynamic capabilities External links:
Business models and dynamic capabilities – ScienceDirect
Dynamic Capabilities Framework – David Teece
Dynamic Capabilities Framework – David Teece
Enterprise Architecture External links:
Enterprise Architecture Center of Excellence
Enterprise Architecture | North Dakota ITD
Enterprise architecture framework External links:
TOGAF as an Enterprise Architecture Framework
Enterprise Architecture Framework – EA Masterclass
Harvard Business Review External links:
50% OFF Harvard Business Review Promo Codes & …
Harvard Business Review – Ideas and Advice for Leaders
Harvard Business Review Subscription – Magazine-order.com
Heat map External links:
Nasdaq Heat Maps | Free Stock Heat Map Tool | Nasdaq
Heat Map: Here’s Where Baltimore Prostitutes Hang Out
How to Create a Heat Map in Excel – A Step By Step Guide
Intellectual Property Rights External links:
Intellectual property rights in the United States are regulated through the federal government through a number of rights. The four main intellectual property rights in the United States are Copyright; Patent; Trademark; and Trade Secrets.
Intellectual Property Rights (IPRS) search – cbp.gov
STOPfakes.gov – Intellectual Property Rights Resources …
NATO Architecture Framework External links:
download nato architecture framework v3 – Google Drive
Network Centric Warfare External links:
Network Centric Warfare 2018 – GovEvents.com
[PDF]NETWORK CENTRIC WARFARE – TRANSFORMING …
Network Enabled Capability External links:
Network Enabled Capability – YouTube
Network Enabled Capability | The Aerodrome
Network theory External links:
Chapter 1: Network Theory Flashcards | Quizlet
ANT and Inscriptions | Actor Network Theory
Operating model External links:
Operating Model Canvas – Official Site
What Is an Operating Model? (with picture) – wiseGEEK
Organizational learning External links:
Society for Organizational Learning – Official Site
[PDF]Knowledge Management and Organizational Learning
Ricardian economics External links:
CiteSeerX — Ricardian economics.
Ricardian Economics – Research Papers in Economics
Strategy map External links:
Black Ops 2 ZOMBIES GAMEPLAY “Farm” Strategy Map …
What is a Strategy Map? A short and simple guide for 2018.
Systems Engineering External links:
Industrial, Manufacturing and Systems Engineering
Innoslate | PLM and Systems Engineering Tools
Industrial & Systems Engineering | College of Engineering
Tacit Knowledge External links:
Strategies For Tacit Knowledge Transfer – The eLearning …
infed.org | Michael Polanyi and tacit knowledge
ERIC – Tacit Knowledge, Innovation and Technology …
Technology Management External links:
UCSB’s Technology Management Program
Technology Strategy External links:
OPM: Information Technology Strategy and Investment …
The Open Group External links:
Customer Service :: The Open Group – wsr.pearsonvue.com
The Open Group Professional Certifications – Pearson VUE
FACE HOME | The Open Group
The Open Group Architecture Framework External links:
The Open Group Architecture Framework Tutorials | TOGAF
[PDF]The Open Group Architecture Framework (TOGAF) and …
The Open Group Architecture Framework | dumdee
Theory of the firm External links:
Theory Of The Firm – investopedia.com
Theory of the firm (Book, 1975) [WorldCat.org]
Theory of the firm (Book, 1973) [WorldCat.org]
Value chain External links:
Data Value Chain | Onvia
LOGWORLD SIN 874-501 Supply and Value Chain …
Welcome to TATA Motors Value Chain Management
Virtual Enterprise External links:
Virtual Enterprise Architects
MVHS Virtual Enterprise
What is Virtual Enterprise | IGI Global