What is involved in Value stream mapping
Find out what the related areas are that Value stream mapping connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Value stream mapping thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Value stream mapping journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Value stream mapping leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Value stream mapping related domains to cover and 100 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Value stream mapping, Business process mapping, Control plan, Design of experiments, Failure mode and effects analysis, Forrester effect mapping, Information and Software Technology, International Standard Book Number, Kaizen, Multi-vari chart, Operations management, Pareto chart, Poka-yoke, Process capability, Product development, Project charter, Quality filter mapping, Root cause analysis, Shigeo Shingo, Six Sigma, Statistical process control, Supply chain responsiveness matrix, Toyota, Value chain, Value stream mapping software, Voice of the customer:
Value stream mapping Critical Criteria:
Be clear about Value stream mapping issues and tour deciding if Value stream mapping progress is made.
– Where do ideas that reach policy makers and planners as proposals for Value stream mapping strengthening and reform actually originate?
– How can you negotiate Value stream mapping successfully with a stubborn boss, an irate client, or a deceitful coworker?
– How can the value of Value stream mapping be defined?
Business process mapping Critical Criteria:
Gauge Business process mapping projects and gather Business process mapping models .
– What are the top 3 things at the forefront of our Value stream mapping agendas for the next 3 years?
– What potential environmental factors impact the Value stream mapping effort?
– Does our organization need more Value stream mapping education?
Control plan Critical Criteria:
Adapt Control plan projects and raise human resource and employment practices for Control plan.
– Consider your own Value stream mapping project. what types of organizational problems do you think might be causing or affecting your problem, based on the work done so far?
– How does the organization define, manage, and improve its Value stream mapping processes?
– Is a Value stream mapping Team Work effort in place?
Design of experiments Critical Criteria:
Revitalize Design of experiments decisions and find out.
– Who will be responsible for making the decisions to include or exclude requested changes once Value stream mapping is underway?
– Does Value stream mapping systematically track and analyze outcomes for accountability and quality improvement?
Failure mode and effects analysis Critical Criteria:
Consult on Failure mode and effects analysis outcomes and create Failure mode and effects analysis explanations for all managers.
– What are your key performance measures or indicators and in-process measures for the control and improvement of your Value stream mapping processes?
– In what ways are Value stream mapping vendors and us interacting to ensure safe and effective use?
Forrester effect mapping Critical Criteria:
Audit Forrester effect mapping projects and check on ways to get started with Forrester effect mapping.
– Marketing budgets are tighter, consumers are more skeptical, and social media has changed forever the way we talk about Value stream mapping. How do we gain traction?
– Who will be responsible for documenting the Value stream mapping requirements in detail?
– What are internal and external Value stream mapping relations?
Information and Software Technology Critical Criteria:
Incorporate Information and Software Technology visions and modify and define the unique characteristics of interactive Information and Software Technology projects.
– What are the disruptive Value stream mapping technologies that enable our organization to radically change our business processes?
– How do we Identify specific Value stream mapping investment and emerging trends?
International Standard Book Number Critical Criteria:
Grasp International Standard Book Number issues and spearhead techniques for implementing International Standard Book Number.
– To what extent does management recognize Value stream mapping as a tool to increase the results?
– Do you monitor the effectiveness of your Value stream mapping activities?
– Are there Value stream mapping problems defined?
Kaizen Critical Criteria:
Have a round table over Kaizen goals and achieve a single Kaizen view and bringing data together.
– What are your current levels and trends in key measures or indicators of Value stream mapping product and process performance that are important to and directly serve your customers? how do these results compare with the performance of your competitors and other organizations with similar offerings?
– Think of your Value stream mapping project. what are the main functions?
Multi-vari chart Critical Criteria:
Scrutinze Multi-vari chart planning and simulate teachings and consultations on quality process improvement of Multi-vari chart.
– Are there any easy-to-implement alternatives to Value stream mapping? Sometimes other solutions are available that do not require the cost implications of a full-blown project?
– Is Supporting Value stream mapping documentation required?
– What are specific Value stream mapping Rules to follow?
Operations management Critical Criteria:
Frame Operations management projects and define Operations management competency-based leadership.
– What are the most important capabilities we consider when evaluating asset and Service Management providers?
– Do we have a high level of process automation connecting our asset and Service Management?
– Are we making progress? and are we making progress as Value stream mapping leaders?
– Do you have a single view into it Service Management?
– Have all basic functions of Value stream mapping been defined?
– Is our company developing its Human Resources?
– How would one define Value stream mapping leadership?
Pareto chart Critical Criteria:
Disseminate Pareto chart tactics and get out your magnifying glass.
– Which Value stream mapping goals are the most important?
– How can skill-level changes improve Value stream mapping?
– Who sets the Value stream mapping standards?
Poka-yoke Critical Criteria:
Pay attention to Poka-yoke issues and gather practices for scaling Poka-yoke.
– Think about the functions involved in your Value stream mapping project. what processes flow from these functions?
– Do several people in different organizational units assist with the Value stream mapping process?
– What is Effective Value stream mapping?
Process capability Critical Criteria:
Scan Process capability outcomes and sort Process capability activities.
– What are your results for key measures or indicators of the accomplishment of your Value stream mapping strategy and action plans, including building and strengthening core competencies?
– Who will be responsible for deciding whether Value stream mapping goes ahead or not after the initial investigations?
– Does the Value stream mapping task fit the clients priorities?
Product development Critical Criteria:
Have a session on Product development failures and get going.
– A dramatic step toward becoming a learning organization is to appoint a chief training officer (CTO) or a chief learning officer (CLO). Many organizations claim to value Human Resources, but how many have a Human Resources representative involved in discussions about research and development commercialization, new product development, the strategic vision of the company, or increasing shareholder value?
– The owner of the product development processes in one of the companies stated: there are no product managers named in the company, what should they do?
– What can we do to ensure that all the necessary product development steps are adequately followed under the pressure of being first to market?
– Compare sequential product development and simultaneous product development. what are the advantages and disadvantages of each approach?
– How do mission and objectives affect the Value stream mapping processes of our organization?
– Project type: what percent of resources should go to new product developments?
– What are we trying to do whilst progressing a product development lifecycle ?
– How should you most effectively invest your product development resources?
– Which step in new product development you think is the most important?
– Do you collaborate with customers for product development and/or innovation?
– Do you collaborate with customers for product development andor innovation?
– What are the steps in the new product development process?
– How can new product development be sped up?
– Are there Value stream mapping Models?
– Is Value stream mapping Required?
Project charter Critical Criteria:
Gauge Project charter strategies and assess what counts with Project charter that we are not counting.
– Will Value stream mapping have an impact on current business continuity, disaster recovery processes and/or infrastructure?
– What new services of functionality will be implemented next with Value stream mapping ?
Quality filter mapping Critical Criteria:
Map Quality filter mapping results and remodel and develop an effective Quality filter mapping strategy.
– Record-keeping requirements flow from the records needed as inputs, outputs, controls and for transformation of a Value stream mapping process. ask yourself: are the records needed as inputs to the Value stream mapping process available?
– Think about the kind of project structure that would be appropriate for your Value stream mapping project. should it be formal and complex, or can it be less formal and relatively simple?
– Do we have past Value stream mapping Successes?
Root cause analysis Critical Criteria:
Paraphrase Root cause analysis engagements and research ways can we become the Root cause analysis company that would put us out of business.
– What are your most important goals for the strategic Value stream mapping objectives?
– Is Value stream mapping dependent on the successful delivery of a current project?
– How to deal with Value stream mapping Changes?
– Do we do Root Cause Analysis?
Shigeo Shingo Critical Criteria:
Mine Shigeo Shingo planning and define what our big hairy audacious Shigeo Shingo goal is.
– What is our Value stream mapping Strategy?
Six Sigma Critical Criteria:
Chart Six Sigma failures and give examples utilizing a core of simple Six Sigma skills.
– What process management and improvement tools are we using PDSA/PDCA, ISO 9000, Lean, Balanced Scorecard, Six Sigma, something else?
– What is the total cost related to deploying Value stream mapping, including any consulting or professional services?
– How is lean six sigma different from TOGAF architecture?
Statistical process control Critical Criteria:
Think carefully about Statistical process control goals and change contexts.
– Is maximizing Value stream mapping protection the same as minimizing Value stream mapping loss?
– Are Acceptance Sampling and Statistical Process Control Complementary or Incompatible?
– What are our Value stream mapping Processes?
Supply chain responsiveness matrix Critical Criteria:
Apply Supply chain responsiveness matrix visions and optimize Supply chain responsiveness matrix leadership as a key to advancement.
– Which customers cant participate in our Value stream mapping domain because they lack skills, wealth, or convenient access to existing solutions?
– Which individuals, teams or departments will be involved in Value stream mapping?
Toyota Critical Criteria:
Deliberate Toyota management and correct better engagement with Toyota results.
– Toyota is the role model and the most highly developed example of the potency of systems thinking and action learning in its broadest sense. but why, if the tps is so successful, is toyota along with its circle of suppliers still almost the lone manufacturing example?
– Agile project management with Scrum derives from best business practices in companies like Fuji-Xerox, Honda, Canon, and Toyota. Toyota routinely achieves four times the productivity and 12 times the quality of competitors. Can Scrum do the same for globally distributed teams?
– Why is it important to have senior management support for a Value stream mapping project?
– Can we do Value stream mapping without complex (expensive) analysis?
Value chain Critical Criteria:
Categorize Value chain issues and find the essential reading for Value chain researchers.
– Do we cover the five essential competencies-Communication, Collaboration,Innovation, Adaptability, and Leadership that improve an organizations ability to leverage the new Value stream mapping in a volatile global economy?
– How do you incorporate cycle time, productivity, cost control, and other efficiency and effectiveness factors into these Value stream mapping processes?
– Do we all define Value stream mapping in the same way?
Value stream mapping software Critical Criteria:
Pilot Value stream mapping software management and find out what it really means.
– Among the Value stream mapping product and service cost to be estimated, which is considered hardest to estimate?
Voice of the customer Critical Criteria:
See the value of Voice of the customer results and modify and define the unique characteristics of interactive Voice of the customer projects.
– Risk factors: what are the characteristics of Value stream mapping that make it risky?
– What tools and technologies are needed for a custom Value stream mapping project?
– Are assumptions made in Value stream mapping stated explicitly?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Value stream mapping Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Value stream mapping External links:
SME – Value Stream Mapping
[PDF]Title Value Stream Mapping for SMEs: a case study
[PDF]Lean and Clean Value Stream Mapping – US EPA
Business process mapping External links:
Business Process Mapping Tool – pages.promapp.com
http://Ad · pages.promapp.com/Process/Mapping
Business Process Mapping Tool – pages.promapp.com
http://Ad · pages.promapp.com/Process/Mapping
Design of experiments External links:
The design of experiments. (Book, 1935) [WorldCat.org]
Design of Experiments – AbeBooks
[PDF]Design of Experiments (DOE) Tutorial – Keysight
Failure mode and effects analysis External links:
[PDF]FAILURE MODE AND EFFECTS ANALYSIS (FMEA)
Forrester effect mapping External links:
Forrester effect mapping – WOW.com
Meaning of Forrester effect mapping – Encyclo
http://www.encyclo.co.uk/meaning-of-Forrester effect mapping
Information and Software Technology External links:
Information and Software Technology – ScienceDirect.com
Information and Software Technology – Journal – Elsevier
Information and Software Technology Journal – Home | Facebook
International Standard Book Number External links:
What is an ISBN (International Standard Book Number)?
Kaizen External links:
The Kaizen Way to Wellness | Dr. Tomas Hemgren
KaiZen Medical Group: Chiropractors: Scottsdale, AZ
Kaizen foam inserts for tool boxes and other cases
Multi-vari chart External links:
Multi-Vari Chart – ISSSP for Lean Six Sigma
Multi-Vari Chart – SurveyMethods.com
Multi-Vari Chart and Analysis Book – M/PCpS
Pareto chart External links:
Pareto Chart in Excel | Pareto Diagram | QI Macros
How to Create a Pareto Chart in MS Excel 2010: 14 Steps
Pareto Chart Analysis (Pareto Diagram) | ASQ
Poka-yoke External links:
Poka-Yoke (DVD video, 2008) [WorldCat.org]
[PDF]Poka-Yoke Presentation for ASQ
[PPT]Mistake Proofing & Poka-yoke – landp.com.au
Process capability External links:
Process Capability Analysis | Minitab with Statistics Training
Process capability Flashcards | Quizlet
[PDF]Process Capability – mindproweb.com
Product development External links:
KEK | Industrial Design + Product Development
Intelligence, Security, Strategy, Product Development – LSINC
352 Inc – Digital Product Development and Marketing Agency
Project charter External links:
What Is a Project Charter? Steering Your Project to Success
Quality filter mapping External links:
Quality filter mapping – Rediff Pages
Quality filter mapping – WOW.com
Root cause analysis External links:
Medical Error Prevention and Root Cause Analysis – NetCE
Root Cause Analysis – VA National Center for Patient Safety
Root Cause Analysis System, Training and Software by …
Six Sigma External links:
Lean Six Sigma | Greenville Technical College
Online Lean and Six Sigma Training Videos | Gemba Academy
Statistical process control External links:
Statistical process control (SPC) is a method of quality control which uses statistical methods. SPC is applied in order to monitor and control a process. Monitoring and controlling the process ensures that it operates at its full potential.
What is SPC – Statistical Process Control? | InfinityQS
Statistical Process Control – SG Systems USA
Toyota External links:
2017 Toyota Prius Hybrid Car | Take everyone by surprise.
Value chain External links:
Value Chain – Investopedia
Unmanned Cargo Aircraft changes the logistic value chain
The Value Chain Academy | Start
Value stream mapping software External links:
Value Stream Mapping Software – mtpkit.store
Value Stream Mapping Software | BreezeTree
Value Stream Mapping Software | Lucidchart
Voice of the customer External links:
Print Page – Voice of the Customer – Plusnet Usergroup
[PDF]THE VOICE OF THE CUSTOMER. – mit.edu
How To Succeed with a Voice of the Customer (VoC) Program