What is involved in Security Assessment and Testing
Find out what the related areas are that Security Assessment and Testing connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Security Assessment and Testing thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Security Assessment and Testing journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Security Assessment and Testing leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Security Assessment and Testing related domains to cover and 142 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Security Assessment and Testing, Security testing, Access control, Antivirus software, Application security, Computer access control, Computer crime, Computer security, Computer virus, Computer worm, Data-centric security, Denial of service, False positives and false negatives, Information security, Information system, Internet security, Intrusion detection system, Intrusion prevention system, Logic bomb, Mobile secure gateway, Mobile security, Multi-factor authentication, National Information Assurance Glossary, Network security, Penetration test, Screen scrape, Secure coding, Security-focused operating system, Security by design, Trojan horse, Vulnerability assessment:
Security Assessment and Testing Critical Criteria:
Talk about Security Assessment and Testing leadership and secure Security Assessment and Testing creativity.
– Who will be responsible for documenting the Security Assessment and Testing requirements in detail?
– How do we go about Securing Security Assessment and Testing?
Security testing Critical Criteria:
Boost Security testing visions and secure Security testing creativity.
– IDS/IPS traffic pattern analysis can often detect or block attacks such as a denial-of-service attack or a network scan. However, in some cases this is legitimate traffic (such as using cloud infrastructure for load testing or security testing). Does the cloud provider have a documented exception process for allowing legitimate traffic that the IDS/IPS flags as an attack pattern?
– Have the types of risks that may impact Security Assessment and Testing been identified and analyzed?
– What is our formula for success in Security Assessment and Testing ?
– Do we have past Security Assessment and Testing Successes?
Access control Critical Criteria:
Read up on Access control governance and report on setting up Access control without losing ground.
– Question to cloud provider: Does your platform offer fine-grained access control so that my users can have different roles that do not create conflicts or violate compliance guidelines?
– Are information security policies, including policies for access control, application and system development, operational, network and physical security, formally documented?
– Can the access control product protect individual devices (e.g., floppy disks, compact disks–read-only memory CD-ROM, serial and parallel interfaces, and system clipboard)?
– If our security management product supports access control based on defined rules, what is the granularity of the rules supported: access control per user, group, or role?
– Access control: Are there appropriate controls over access to PII when stored in the cloud so that only individuals with a need to know will be able to access it?
– Among the Security Assessment and Testing product and service cost to be estimated, which is considered hardest to estimate?
– If data need to be secured through access controls (e.g. password-protected network space), how will they be applied?
– In what ways are Security Assessment and Testing vendors and us interacting to ensure safe and effective use?
– Do access control logs contain successful and unsuccessful login attempts and access to audit logs?
– Is the process actually generating measurable improvement in the state of logical access control?
– Access control: Are there appropriate access controls over PII when it is in the cloud?
– Access Control To Program Source Code: Is access to program source code restricted?
– What is the direction of flow for which access control is required?
– Should we call it role based rule based access control, or rbrbac?
– Why should we adopt a Security Assessment and Testing framework?
– What type of advanced access control is supported?
– What access control exists to protect the data?
– What is our role based access control?
Antivirus software Critical Criteria:
Frame Antivirus software visions and report on developing an effective Antivirus software strategy.
– What are the disruptive Security Assessment and Testing technologies that enable our organization to radically change our business processes?
– What prevents me from making the changes I know will make me a more effective Security Assessment and Testing leader?
– What other jobs or tasks affect the performance of the steps in the Security Assessment and Testing process?
Application security Critical Criteria:
Add value to Application security engagements and triple focus on important concepts of Application security relationship management.
– Who will be responsible for deciding whether Security Assessment and Testing goes ahead or not after the initial investigations?
– What are all of our Security Assessment and Testing domains and what do they do?
– Who Is Responsible for Web Application Security in the Cloud?
– Who sets the Security Assessment and Testing standards?
Computer access control Critical Criteria:
Value Computer access control issues and define what our big hairy audacious Computer access control goal is.
– In the case of a Security Assessment and Testing project, the criteria for the audit derive from implementation objectives. an audit of a Security Assessment and Testing project involves assessing whether the recommendations outlined for implementation have been met. in other words, can we track that any Security Assessment and Testing project is implemented as planned, and is it working?
– Do you monitor the effectiveness of your Security Assessment and Testing activities?
– What are the usability implications of Security Assessment and Testing actions?
Computer crime Critical Criteria:
Mine Computer crime engagements and optimize Computer crime leadership as a key to advancement.
– Where do ideas that reach policy makers and planners as proposals for Security Assessment and Testing strengthening and reform actually originate?
– Does Security Assessment and Testing create potential expectations in other areas that need to be recognized and considered?
– Who will provide the final approval of Security Assessment and Testing deliverables?
Computer security Critical Criteria:
Communicate about Computer security results and interpret which customers can’t participate in Computer security because they lack skills.
– Does your company provide end-user training to all employees on Cybersecurity, either as part of general staff training or specifically on the topic of computer security and company policy?
– Will the selection of a particular product limit the future choices of other computer security or operational modifications and improvements?
– What are the Essentials of Internal Security Assessment and Testing Management?
– What are the long-term Security Assessment and Testing goals?
– Is a Security Assessment and Testing Team Work effort in place?
Computer virus Critical Criteria:
Reason over Computer virus leadership and report on developing an effective Computer virus strategy.
– Record-keeping requirements flow from the records needed as inputs, outputs, controls and for transformation of a Security Assessment and Testing process. ask yourself: are the records needed as inputs to the Security Assessment and Testing process available?
– What knowledge, skills and characteristics mark a good Security Assessment and Testing project manager?
– Does Security Assessment and Testing analysis isolate the fundamental causes of problems?
Computer worm Critical Criteria:
Explore Computer worm management and secure Computer worm creativity.
– Is Security Assessment and Testing Realistic, or are you setting yourself up for failure?
– What about Security Assessment and Testing Analysis of results?
Data-centric security Critical Criteria:
Wrangle Data-centric security goals and revise understanding of Data-centric security architectures.
– What is the total cost related to deploying Security Assessment and Testing, including any consulting or professional services?
– Meeting the challenge: are missed Security Assessment and Testing opportunities costing us money?
– Is Supporting Security Assessment and Testing documentation required?
– What is data-centric security and its role in GDPR compliance?
Denial of service Critical Criteria:
Consolidate Denial of service strategies and innovate what needs to be done with Denial of service.
– An administrator is concerned about denial of service attacks on their virtual machines (vms). what is an effective method to reduce the risk of this type of attack?
– Do we aggressively reward and promote the people who have the biggest impact on creating excellent Security Assessment and Testing services/products?
– How easy would it be to lose your service if a denial of service attack is launched within your cloud provider?
– Do the Security Assessment and Testing decisions we make today help people and the planet tomorrow?
– What ability does the provider have to deal with denial of service attacks?
– Is Security Assessment and Testing Required?
False positives and false negatives Critical Criteria:
Trace False positives and false negatives risks and arbitrate False positives and false negatives techniques that enhance teamwork and productivity.
– How do we ensure that implementations of Security Assessment and Testing products are done in a way that ensures safety?
– What role does communication play in the success or failure of a Security Assessment and Testing project?
– Why are Security Assessment and Testing skills important?
Information security Critical Criteria:
Participate in Information security outcomes and raise human resource and employment practices for Information security.
– Has the organization established an Identity and Access Management program that is consistent with requirements, policy, and applicable guidelines and which identifies users and network devices?
– Do we maintain our own threat catalogue on the corporate intranet to remind employees of the wide range of issues of concern to Information Security and the business?
– If a survey was done with asking organizations; Is there a line between your information technology department and your information security department?
– Is the documented Information Security Mgmt System (ISMS) established, implemented, operated, monitored, reviewed, maintained and improved?
– Are information security roles and responsibilities coordinated and aligned with internal roles and external partners?
– Have the roles and responsibilities for information security been clearly defined within the company?
– Have standards for information security across all entities been established or codified into law?
– Does your organization have a chief information security officer (ciso or equivalent title)?
– Ensure that the information security procedures support the business requirements?
– What best describes the authorization process in information security?
– Does mgmt establish roles and responsibilities for information security?
– Is an organizational information security policy established?
– : Return of Information Security Investment, Are you spending enough?
– Who needs to know about Security Assessment and Testing ?
– How to achieve a satisfied level of information security?
Information system Critical Criteria:
Troubleshoot Information system visions and stake your claim.
– Have we developed a continuous monitoring strategy for the information systems (including monitoring of security control effectiveness for system-specific, hybrid, and common controls) that reflects the organizational Risk Management strategy and organizational commitment to protecting critical missions and business functions?
– On what terms should a manager of information systems evolution and maintenance provide service and support to the customers of information systems evolution and maintenance?
– Has your organization conducted a cyber risk or vulnerability assessment of its information systems, control systems, and other networked systems?
– Are information security events and weaknesses associated with information systems communicated in a manner to allow timely corrective action to be taken?
– Would an information systems (is) group with more knowledge about a data production process produce better quality data for data consumers?
– What tools do you use once you have decided on a Security Assessment and Testing strategy and more importantly how do you choose?
– Are information systems and the services of information systems things of value that have suppliers and customers?
– What does the customer get from the information systems performance, and on what does that depend, and when?
– What are the principal business applications (i.e. information systems available from staff PC desktops)?
– Why Learn About Security, Privacy, and Ethical Issues in Information Systems and the Internet?
– What are information systems, and who are the stakeholders in the information systems game?
– How secure -well protected against potential risks is the information system ?
– What does integrity ensure in an information system?
– Is authorized user access to information systems ensured?
– How to deal with Security Assessment and Testing Changes?
– How are our information systems developed ?
– Is security an integral part of information systems?
Internet security Critical Criteria:
Look at Internet security adoptions and prioritize challenges of Internet security.
– Does Security Assessment and Testing systematically track and analyze outcomes for accountability and quality improvement?
Intrusion detection system Critical Criteria:
Set goals for Intrusion detection system results and correct Intrusion detection system management by competencies.
– Can intrusion detection systems be configured to ignore activity that is generated by authorized scanner operation?
– How do we manage Security Assessment and Testing Knowledge Management (KM)?
– What is a limitation of a server-based intrusion detection system (ids)?
– What are our Security Assessment and Testing Processes?
Intrusion prevention system Critical Criteria:
Derive from Intrusion prevention system visions and handle a jump-start course to Intrusion prevention system.
– How do your measurements capture actionable Security Assessment and Testing information for use in exceeding your customers expectations and securing your customers engagement?
– Are security alerts from the intrusion detection or intrusion prevention system (ids/ips) continuously monitored, and are the latest ids/ips signatures installed?
– How do we Improve Security Assessment and Testing service perception, and satisfaction?
– Is a intrusion detection or intrusion prevention system used on the network?
Logic bomb Critical Criteria:
Tête-à-tête about Logic bomb strategies and pioneer acquisition of Logic bomb systems.
– Are there any easy-to-implement alternatives to Security Assessment and Testing? Sometimes other solutions are available that do not require the cost implications of a full-blown project?
– What new services of functionality will be implemented next with Security Assessment and Testing ?
Mobile secure gateway Critical Criteria:
Drive Mobile secure gateway adoptions and question.
– What are our best practices for minimizing Security Assessment and Testing project risk, while demonstrating incremental value and quick wins throughout the Security Assessment and Testing project lifecycle?
– How do we make it meaningful in connecting Security Assessment and Testing with what users do day-to-day?
Mobile security Critical Criteria:
See the value of Mobile security decisions and change contexts.
– Is the scope of Security Assessment and Testing defined?
Multi-factor authentication Critical Criteria:
Boost Multi-factor authentication leadership and innovate what needs to be done with Multi-factor authentication.
– Does remote server administration require multi-factor authentication of administrative users for systems and databases?
– Think of your Security Assessment and Testing project. what are the main functions?
– Is multi-factor authentication supported for provider services?
– Why is Security Assessment and Testing important for you now?
– How do we Lead with Security Assessment and Testing in Mind?
National Information Assurance Glossary Critical Criteria:
Ventilate your thoughts about National Information Assurance Glossary goals and know what your objective is.
– Who is responsible for ensuring appropriate resources (time, people and money) are allocated to Security Assessment and Testing?
– Risk factors: what are the characteristics of Security Assessment and Testing that make it risky?
– How is the value delivered by Security Assessment and Testing being measured?
Network security Critical Criteria:
Cut a stake in Network security risks and don’t overlook the obvious.
– Do we Make sure to ask about our vendors customer satisfaction rating and references in our particular industry. If the vendor does not know its own rating, it may be a red flag that youre dealing with a company that does not put Customer Service at the forefront. How would a company know what to improve if it had no idea what areas customers felt were lacking?
– Consider your own Security Assessment and Testing project. what types of organizational problems do you think might be causing or affecting your problem, based on the work done so far?
– Are the disaster recovery plan (DRP) and the business contingency plan (BCP) tested annually?
– Does the Security Assessment and Testing task fit the clients priorities?
Penetration test Critical Criteria:
Read up on Penetration test results and visualize why should people listen to you regarding Penetration test.
– Is a vulnerability scan or penetration test performed on all internet-facing applications and systems before they go into production?
– Does Security Assessment and Testing analysis show the relationships among important Security Assessment and Testing factors?
– Are there recognized Security Assessment and Testing problems?
Screen scrape Critical Criteria:
Categorize Screen scrape strategies and give examples utilizing a core of simple Screen scrape skills.
– What are the record-keeping requirements of Security Assessment and Testing activities?
– Will Security Assessment and Testing deliverables need to be tested and, if so, by whom?
Secure coding Critical Criteria:
Merge Secure coding adoptions and correct better engagement with Secure coding results.
– How do senior leaders actions reflect a commitment to the organizations Security Assessment and Testing values?
– How do we keep improving Security Assessment and Testing?
– How can we improve Security Assessment and Testing?
Security-focused operating system Critical Criteria:
Think about Security-focused operating system projects and prioritize challenges of Security-focused operating system.
– Which individuals, teams or departments will be involved in Security Assessment and Testing?
Security by design Critical Criteria:
Reconstruct Security by design outcomes and diversify disclosure of information – dealing with confidential Security by design information.
– Does Security Assessment and Testing include applications and information with regulatory compliance significance (or other contractual conditions that must be formally complied with) in a new or unique manner for which no approved security requirements, templates or design models exist?
Trojan horse Critical Criteria:
Consult on Trojan horse governance and probe using an integrated framework to make sure Trojan horse is getting what it needs.
– Will new equipment/products be required to facilitate Security Assessment and Testing delivery for example is new software needed?
– Is there a Security Assessment and Testing Communication plan covering who needs to get what information when?
Vulnerability assessment Critical Criteria:
Group Vulnerability assessment visions and probe the present value of growth of Vulnerability assessment.
– Does your organization perform vulnerability assessment activities as part of the acquisition cycle for products in each of the following areas: Cybersecurity, SCADA, smart grid, internet connectivity, and website hosting?
– At what point will vulnerability assessments be performed once Security Assessment and Testing is put into production (e.g., ongoing Risk Management after implementation)?
– At what point will vulnerability assessments be performed once the system is put into production (e.g., ongoing risk management after implementation)?
– Do you have an internal or external company performing your vulnerability assessment?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Security Assessment and Testing Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Security Assessment and Testing External links:
Study Flashcards On CISSP – Security Assessment and Testing at Cram.com. Quickly memorize the terms, phrases and much more. Cram.com makes …
Cissp – Security Assessment And Testing – Cram.com
Tag: Security Assessment and Testing – …
Security testing External links:
TxDPS – Private Security Testing/Training
Access control External links:
Security Access Control Systems | Door Card Access …
What is Access Control? – Definition from Techopedia
Linear Pro Access – Professional Access Control Systems
Antivirus software External links:
Spybot – Search & Destroy Anti-malware & Antivirus Software
Antivirus Software, Internet Security, Spyware and …
Top 10 Best Antivirus Software – antivirusbest10.com
http://Ad · www.antivirusbest10.com/Best-Antivirus/Software
Application security External links:
Application Security News, Tutorials & Tools – DZone
BLM Application Security System
Chrome Rewards – Application Security – Google
Computer access control External links:
Smart Card Technology: New Methods for Computer Access Control
CASSIE – Computer Access Control
Computer crime External links:
“Barney Miller” Computer Crime (TV Episode 1979) – IMDb
What is a Computer Crime? (with pictures) – wiseGEEK
Computer Crime and Intellectual Property Section …
http://www.justice.gov › … › About The Criminal Division › Sections/Offices
Computer security External links:
[PDF]Computer Security Incident Handling Guide
Webroot® Computer Security – 20-Time PC Mag Winner
http://Ad · www.webroot.com/computer/security
Report a Computer Security Vulnerability – TechNet Security
Computer virus External links:
The Computer Virus (2004) – IMDb
Computer Viruses – AbeBooks
Don’t fall for this computer virus scam! – May. 12, 2017
Computer worm External links:
[PDF]Computer Worms – School of Computing
What is computer worm? – Definition from WhatIs.com
Computer worm Facts for Kids | KidzSearch.com
Data-centric security External links:
Data-centric security for Hadoop, SQL and Big Data
Denial of service External links:
Best Practices for Preventing DoS/Denial of Service …
Denial of Service Definition – Computer
False positives and false negatives External links:
Medical False Positives and False Negatives – …
Information security External links:
Managed Security Services | Information Security Solutions
Federal Information Security Management Act of 2002 – NIST
Title & Settlement Information Security
Information system External links:
National Motor Vehicle Title Information System (NMVTIS)
National Motor Vehicle Title Information System
National Motor Vehicle Title Information System: …
Internet security External links:
Antivirus Software, Internet Security, Spyware and …
Center for Internet Security – Official Site
CUJO AI Internet Security Firewall – Stay Safe Online
Intrusion detection system External links:
Intrusion Detection (IDS) – Intrusion detection system
http://Ad · www.alienvault.com/threat-detection
Intrusion Detection (IDS) – Intrusion detection system
http://Ad · www.alienvault.com/threat-detection
Intrusion Detection Systems – CERIAS
Intrusion prevention system External links:
Wireless Intrusion Prevention System (WIPS) | …
Cisco Next-Generation Intrusion Prevention System (NGIPS)
Intrusion prevention system
http://Intrusion prevention systems (IPS), also known as intrusion detection and prevention systems (IDPS), are network security appliances that monitor network and/or system activities for malicious activity. The main functions of intrusion prevention systems are to identify malicious activity, log information about this activity, attempt to block/stop it, and report it.
Logic bomb External links:
logic bomb – Everything2.com
Logic Bomb – TV Tropes
The Logic Bomb by Scott Richard Lord – Goodreads
Mobile secure gateway External links:
Mobile secure gateway – Revolvy
https://broom02.revolvy.com/topic/Mobile secure gateway
Mobile secure gateway – WOW.com
Mobile secure gateway Stock Photo Images. 36 Mobile …
Mobile security External links:
Mobile Security | Education Center | BB&T Bank
The Arlo Go Mobile Security Camera uses Verizon’s 4G LTE network to supply HD live streams or cloud-stored recordings.
Find Your Lost or Stolen Android Device | AVG Mobile Security
Multi-factor authentication External links:
Multi-Factor Authentication™ | User Portal
Multi-Factor Authentication – Access control | Microsoft Azure
National Information Assurance Glossary External links:
National Information Assurance Glossary – English …
https://glosbe.com/en/fr/National Information Assurance Glossary
National Information Assurance Glossary – WOW.com
Network security External links:
Firewall Management Software | Network Security …
Home Network Admin | How to Find Your Network Security Key
Home Network Security | Trend Micro
Penetration test External links:
penetration test – Answers – Salesforce Trailblazer …
[PDF]Standard Penetration Test Driller’s / Operator’s …
Standard Penetration Test – Geotechdata.info
Screen scrape External links:
web scraping – How do screen scrapers work? – Stack Overflow
http://Screen scraping is programming that translates between legacy application programs (written to communicate with now generally obsolete input/output devices and user interfaces) and new user interfaces so that the logic and data associated with the legacy programs can continue to be used.
c# – How do you Screen Scrape? – Stack Overflow
Secure coding External links:
ESAPI Secure Coding Guideline – OWASP
Secure Coding in C & C++ – SANS Information Security …
Security-focused operating system External links:
Security-focused operating system – iSnare Free …
Security by design External links:
Security by Design – Detroit, MI – inc.com
Global Privacy and Security By Design
Security by Design Principles – OWASP
Trojan horse External links:
The Maple Syrup – Baking Soda Trojan Horse Detox | …
Trojan horse | Greek mythology | Britannica.com
Vulnerability assessment External links:
System Vulnerability Assessment – USPS OIG
[PDF]Unit IV – Vulnerability Assessment